When an unregistered client machine is first plugged in and started, it will have only limited network connectivity to the Registration server. As the client opens a web browser, it will be automatically redirected to a registration server web interface to enable the client to register on a form (requires MacID). Following registration, once the computer is rebooted, it will have normal network access thereafter.
- Plug your computer into a network data jack using an Ethernet patch cable.
- Boot the computer (ensuring that it is set up to ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’)
- Open a web browser (such as Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer) and a Netreg registration page will appear.
- From the registration page, log in with your MacID and password and respond to the information and prompts for acknowledgement (if you encounter any problems, there is a link on the registration page to assistance information)
- Reboot your computer following successful completion of the Netreg process, and you will be able to access campus and Internet sites normally.
If you have a requirement to plug in a device such as a ‘Game Boy’ that doesn’t have a web browser interface, it will be necessary to register it first. Please determine the Media Access Control (MAC) address of the network interface in your device (help information on how to find it) and using a computer with web browser, go to web page at URL http://netman.mcmaster.ca/maconly/reg_nonpc.html and enter it into the form there, after authenticating with your MacID and responding to the prompts. The device will be registered 24 hours after successful entry.